Unit 035 – Principles and Applications of Electronic Devices and Circuits – Level 3 – 10 Credits [K/600/0300]
Aim and purpose
This unit aims to give learners an understanding of electronic devices and the skills needed to simulate, construct and test a variety of electronic circuits.
Electronics and electronic devices are used in a huge variety of manufactured products. From everyday popular items such as cameras and thermometers to the robotic welding machines used in industry, the use of electronics is continually growing.
This unit provides a practical introduction to basic electronic devices and analogue and digital electronic principles. It provides learners with an opportunity to investigate the operation of diodes and transistors, two of the most important building blocks in electronic circuits. Learners will then go on to build and test circuits that make use of these devices and will consider the operation of integrated circuits such as the operational amplifier. Logic gates and flip-flops are also investigated both in practice and by using simple electronic principles, such as voltage gain or truth tables.
Finally, the unit will introduce learners to computer-based circuit design and simulation software packages that will allow them to build and test analogue and digital circuits. This will enable learners to recognise the importance of simulation software in the design of electronic circuits.
The overall aim of this unit is to build learners’ confidence in their ability to construct and test simple electronic circuits. The emphasis is on prototyping, constructing and measuring. The unit treats systems in terms of their functionality and their input/output relationships.
On completion of this unit a learner should:
- Understand the function and operation of diodes, transistors and logic gates
- Be able to build and test operational amplifier-based analogue circuits
- Be able to build and test combinational and sequential logic circuits
- Be able to use computer-based simulation software packages to construct and test the operation of analogue and digital circuits.
Assignment 2 is a practical assessment and you will be required to build and test electronic circuits to successfully pass this assignment.
Before requesting this assignment, you will required to purchase electronic components parts from either Maplin Electronics, RS Components, Amazon, eBay or from your company’s preferred electrical/electronic suppliers before attempting this assignment. The cost of purchasing these components is not included in the course fees.
Bell D – Fundamentals of Electronic Devices and Circuits (Oxford University Press, 2009) ISBN
Tooley M – Electronic Circuits – Fundamentals and Applications (Newnes, 2006) ISBN 0750669233
This unit links to the following related units:
Links to the following courses
- Certificate in Engineering
- Subsidiary Diploma in Engineering
- 90 Credit Diploma in Engineering
- Diploma in Engineering
- Extended Diploma in Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Extended in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- ICT Systems and Principles
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Maintenance