Unit 014 Production Engineering for Manufacture – Credit Value 15 Level 4 [H/615/1488]
All of the manufactured products we use in our daily lives, from processed food to clothing and cars, are the result of production engineering. Production engineers need to have a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all the possible production technologies available, their advantages and disadvantages, the requirements of the production system operation and the interaction between the various components of the production system.
This unit introduces students to the production process for key material types; the various types of machinery used to manufacture products and the different ways of organising production systems to optimise the production process; consideration of how to measure the effectiveness of a production system within the overall context of the manufacturing system; and an examination of how production engineering contributes to ensuring safe and reliable operation of manufacturing.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to illustrate the role and purpose of production engineering and its relationship with the other elements of a manufacturing system. They will be able to select the most appropriate production processes and associated facility arrangements for manufacturing products of different material types and design a production system incorporating a number of different production processes.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Illustrate the role and purpose of production engineering and its relationship with the other elements of a manufacturing system.
- Select the most appropriate production processes and associated facility arrangements, for manufacturing products of different material types.
- Analyse how a production system can incorporate a number of different production processes for a given product or assembly.
- Explore the effectiveness of a production system in terms of its operation within the wider manufacturing system.
KALPAKJIAN, S. and SCHMID, S. (2009) Manufacturing Engineering and Technology. 6th Ed. Prentice Hall.
https://www.khanacademy.org/ Khan Academy (Tutorials)
This unit links to the following related units:
- Unit 23: Computer Aided Design and Manufacture (CAD/CAM)
- Unit 48: Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Links to the following HN Engineering Courses