Unit 034 Research Project – Credit Value 15 Level 5 [J/615/1502]
Completing a piece of research is an opportunity for students to showcase their intellect and talents. It integrates knowledge with different skills and abilities that may not have been assessed previously, which may include seeking out and reviewing original research papers, designing their own experimental work, solving problems as they arise, managing time, finding new ways of analysing and presenting data, and writing an extensive report. Research can always be a challenge but one that can be immensely fulfilling, an experience that goes beyond a mark or a grade, but extends into long-lasting areas of personal and professional development.
This unit introduces students to the skills necessary to deliver a complex, independently conducted research project that fits within an engineering context.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to deliver a complex and independent research project in line with the original objectives, explain the critical thinking skills associated with solving engineering problems, consider multiple perspectives in reaching a balanced and justifiable conclusion, and communicate effectively a research project’s outcome. Therefore, students develop skills such as critical thinking, analysis, reasoning, interpretation, decision-making, information literacy, information and communication technology literacy, innovation, conflict resolution, creativity, collaboration, adaptability and written and oral communication.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Conduct the preliminary stages involved in the creation of an engineering research project.
- Examine the analytical techniques used to work on all stages of the project and strategies required to overcome the challenges involved in a research project.
- Reflect on the impact the research experience could have in enhancing personal or group performance within an engineering context.
- Explore the communication approach used for the preparation and presentation of the research project’s outcomes.
LEONG, E.C., LEE-HSIA, C.H. and WEE ONG, K.K. (2015) Guide to Research Projects for Engineering Students: Planning, Writing and Presenting. Apple Academic Press Inc.
OBERLENDER, G.D. (2014) Project Management for Engineering and Construction. 3rd Ed. McGraw-Hill Education.
https://www.apm.org.uk/ Association for Project Management (General Reference)
This unit links to the following related units:
- Unit 1: Engineering Design
- Unit 23: Computer Aided Design and Manufacture (CAD/CAM)
Links to the following HN Engineering Courses