What is the Maths Initial Assessment?
We use the BKSB Functional Skills Maths tool to assess your maths ability up to and including Level 2. You need to be at Level 2 before you can proceed on to an engineering level 3 course, where you will learn level 3 maths.
What does the assessment consist of?
- Understand and use positive and negative numbers of any size in practical contexts
- Carry out calculations with numbers of any size in practical contexts, to a given number of decimal
- Understand, use and calculate ratio and proportion, including problems involving scale
- Understand and use equivalences between fractions, decimals and percentages
- Understand and use simple formulae and equations involving one- or two-step operations
- Recognise and use 2D representations of 3D objects
- Find area and perimeter of common shapes
- Find volume of common shapes
- Use, convert and calculate using metric and, where appropriate, imperial measures
- Collect and represent discrete and continuous data, using ICT where appropriate
- Use and interpret discrete and continuous data
- Use statistical methods to investigate situations
- Use probability to assess the likelihood of an outcome